a measuring stick for my journey

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Walk Score

More on community! Google created an application that gives a "walk-score" for the community you live in. Douglas scored 38 out of 100 and is car-dependent. I wonder what impact this has on our local community? While the population of Douglas hovers around 5,000 residents, relatively small, we are all stranded in our cars. What would the impact be if we all became walkers regardless? Would our town change if we got to know our neighbors, picked the litter up from our streets, and left our footprint on a place?

How walk-able is your town or neighborhood? Visit the site here.
PS. While Douglas scored low, my neighborhood scored high. Our walk-ability ranked 82 out of 100, very walkable. Which heads me in the direction of city planning...

3 comments:

djrepshire said...

Our town ranks 65 out of 100, but if we lived on 1st street.... 92 out of 100! I lived on first street when I first arrived back from college! Anyway, this is a sweet program! Thanks for sharing!

J Stu said...

so cool! am now plotting my future place of residence...and also contemplating this as a column subject for an upcoming Budget issue...

Hannah said...

You tell 'em, ace reporter J Stu! I am all for more folks walking more. Our community could be so cool. I see all its potential and get both excited and frustrated. Let's take some steps towards change!

Followers