a measuring stick for my journey

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

urban homesteading

I am a country girl at heart. I have spent 87% of my life residing on my family's ranch. Country living is the picture of sustainability. We eat our own free-range beef, bartered fresh eggs for errands, drank whole milk, grew and canned our own produce. This lifestyle of living off and in tune with the land is a integral part of my life.(Eco-pioneers)
Now I live in a small town. What's a gal to do? I'm currently on a quest to bring sustainability to my urban life. During this quest, I've stumbled across urban homesteading, essentially using the land available in the urban landscape to grow produce, maybe chickens or other poultry (check with your city codes), lead a more self sustaining life. However, this philosophy goes beyond what you eat; it's what you do with waste, how you use water, your transportation choices. What I find most intriguing is that this goes beyond the tangible. It's a lifestyle change, a cultural shift, a community builder. This is a homegrown revolution! I'm fully on-board. Anyone interested in joining me?

1 comment:

schnitzerPHOTO said...

I want to extend my encouragement! Not only will such decisions lead to better interconnectedness within communities, but we all benefit from living more consciously. We've been trying to live this way more and more during recent years, and, though it is more work, it is deeply rewarding.

Followers