a measuring stick for my journey

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Maps, I make maps!


I love my job! I fell in love with geography as a college freshmen, undecided and undeclared. Thanks to an amazing professor in geography survey class, I found my passion and my career. Not that this has been a direct path, I've worked for the United States Postal Service, the now defunct American Home Mortgage, and numerous other side jobs along the way.

I now spend an amazing large portion of my time explaining my job to the public. I've settled for the brief, "We map the county" answer, however it goes so much further beyond that. We collect and analyse data, gather and distribute information. The applications of GIS are so amazingly broad that I cannot even begin to brush the surface here. Geography as a whole, knowing your place in the world, the thought process behind visually contextual data...huge people, it's huge! So ask all you want, I may start boring you with the long answer!

No comments:

Followers