a measuring stick for my journey

Friday, August 29, 2008

Love and Stuff

Up until this point, I felt slightly smug while my friends met and married a variety of assorted boys (not that they aren't all great, they totally are). Too busy doing my own thing, more interested in my career, studies, hobbies than "settling down", I watched with vague curiosity. Love seemed over-hyped, under valued, and completely misused by the world at large. I assumed that I was to logical to fall in love, far to sarcastic for the experience. What's up with the whole falling thing anyway? I would much rather make life decisions feet on the ground, not sprawled upon it.

What I didn't understand, which I'm now beginning to grasp is that love is truly an action verb. Love isn't wrapped in the grandeur of poetry, art, symphonies. Love is simple. Love is sharing life with someone who shares your joy in it. Love is in the quiet moments, the in-betweens, the journey not the conclusion. Love has a depth, a foundation, a bravery that I find unexpected and thought to be corrupted out of our culture. If a fall is what it takes to slow down and see it, to savor it...I'm totally there!

No comments:

Followers