a measuring stick for my journey

Monday, April 6, 2009

pumpkin cranberry loaf


I've perfected my pumpkin cranberry bread recipe. I did start with a base recipe, however I've drastically reduced the amount of sugar and oil to "healthy up" this delicious dessert bread.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl combine:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups rolled oats
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin (more on using a whole pumpkin later)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon (reduce to 1 tsp if you would like a less 'spicy' bread)
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
dash ground cloves (I dump so just use your best judgment)
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup orange juice or lemonade (if you don't have this on hand, add any type of juice, or omit)
1 cup Craisins (if using fresh cranberries, I recommend adding another half cup sugar)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

(variances: 1 cup blueberries or raisins in place of cranberries. Just experiment, with this pumpkin base you can add essentially any type of whole fruit)

Mix ingredients. Butter two loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.

No comments:

Followers