a measuring stick for my journey

Monday, December 1, 2008

Quantities of Thankfulness!


I quantify everything! It's a game constantly at play in my head (among a zillion other games, social experiments I'm carrying out on myself and with myself). So I'm trying to decide the number one thing I am most thankful for this year!

It's been a big year! I lost a job and God gave me a new one, and then another new one! And I learned the value of not placing too much of your self identity in work (which is hard for all of us type A workaholics out there).

While training for a big race, I blew my knee and have watched my running slide over the past several months. But at least I have two legs, and I can run. I just can't run the soul cleansing distances I ran in the past. My blessings are so BIG, my flesh is just weak.

I bought a house. In the midst of this financial chaos God has blessed me by allowing me to take on this huge responsibility. May I use it to His glory. I'm learning that EVERYTHING, every ASPECT of my life is under God's control, including my (excuse me, His) money.

I have great friends. Friends I can call in the middle of the night, friends who see me and love me in the midst of craziness, friends who continually blow my mind with their beauty. We are all God's creation, whether we confess it or not.

I also have a great family. They are a solid foundation, and I love them to bits! They constantly remind me of the value of God's family, his church, and our responsibilities to them. Ahh, what sweet times of fellowship!

I'm getting married. Which is such a serious, fun, awesome, scary feeling. It's such a huge blessing that I barely even could hope for it. I'm excitied to see what path God has for us, His plan for OUR future. To sharpen one another, to strengthen each other. Oh and what a guy! :)

But what I think I am most THANKFUL for this year, is God's love. He gave us the ability to love, and what a gift it is! Marrying a man of God is such a reflection of this love. And gives such depth to the imagery of the church being Christ's bride. It covers me, it covers me...

1 comment:

Hannah said...

You are a more mature bride-to-be than many I've seen! Your mix of humility and exuberance inspires me to no end.

Followers