a measuring stick for my journey

Thursday, February 5, 2009

water works


I'm not a "cry-er" by any means, but as a girl with three brothers I quickly developed the habit of crying alone or crying silently as a means of self-protection from their adolescent mockery. It's strange to me to continue to use this talent as an adult. I'm not sure what part of society enforced message I'm clinging to. Perhaps a hold-over from the feminist movement; of the ultra-strong, I can do anything and feel nothing approach to femininity. Or maybe a reflection of the exaggerated individualism I feel sometimes...the privacy of hiding my emotions versus sharing them.

Regardless, I'm surprised I can lie in my husband's arms and cry while he sleeps. I'm reminded of my fellowman and what we all walk around with on the inside of us. How many times I am quick to judge a friend or strange, not knowing what thoughts and emotions are stewing? Just a reminder to myself to reside in grace, with myself and with others.

No comments:

Followers